Police search Commonwealth Games village after bomb threat

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
October 5, 2010 15:48

Police were searching the Commonwealth Games village housing more than 6,000 athletes and officials Tuesday after receiving an anonymous telephone call claiming that a bomb has been placed there.

Rajan Bhagat, the New Delhi police spokesman, said there has been no evacuation of athletes or officials from the games village.

Dog squads and bomb disposal teams were carrying out search operations in the village Tuesday afternoon.

Bhagat said nothing had been found so far.

Bhuvaneswar Kalita, India's team leader, played down the threat.

"There does not seem to be much concern here at the games village about any bomb," Kalita said. "In fact, the Indian camp has been in an upbeat mood after winning a number of gold medals today."


Related Content

Breaking news
June 18, 2018
Right-wing Duque wins Colombian presidency, beating leftist Petro

By REUTERS