Qaida says its holding 5 hostages, including French 'spies'

By REUTERS
December 9, 2011 19:42

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

PARIS - Al-Qaida's North African wing claimed responsibility for kidnapping five foreigners in Mali last month, describing two of the hostages as French spies in a statement carried by Mauritania's private ANI news agency.

The agency, which has previously received statements from al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) and in November interviewed one of its top commanders, also showed pictures of the five men it said were snatched in Mali during two separate incidents at the end of November.

"AQIM is pleased to claim the responsibility for the kidnapping on the night of Nov. 24 in eastern Mali of two spies of the French secret service," the group said.

Doubts surfaced in France over the identity of the two French nationals, initially described as geologists who were kidnapped in the town of Hombori, close to the border with Burkina Faso. French media reported the two were known to French intelligence.

The French Foreign Ministry was not immediately available to authenticate the claim.

AQIM said it had also kidnapped three other Westerners during a second raid on Nov. 25.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 22, 2018
Trump says looking more and more like his campaign spied upon illegally

By REUTERS