Qatar says Syria protocol not being implemented

By REUTERS
January 7, 2012 01:10

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

CAIRO - Syria is not implementing a deal with the Arab League aimed at halting violence in the country, the prime minister of Qatar said on Friday, adding that Arab League monitors could not stay there to "waste time."

The Syrian army, required to pull of Syrian cities according to the deal, had not withdrawn, Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim al-Thani said. He added there had been no end to killing during the 10 days spent in Syria by the Arab monitors.

"With great regret, the news is not good," Sheikh Hamad told Al Jazeera television.

An Arab League committee is due on Sunday to discuss an initial report by the Arab observers who are checking Syria's compliance with the plan to halt Syrian President Bashar Assad's crackdown on nearly 10 months of unrest.

"We will listen to the report of the mission and then the Arab committee which will decide what we will do," Sheikh Hamad said. "We cannot be there to waste time while the killing is continuing," he added.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 19, 2018
El-Al CEO announces investigative committee to look in to 'horror flight'

By JPOST.COM STAFF