Rushdie cancels India festival plans after protests

By REUTERS
January 20, 2012 11:11

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

JAIPUR - Salman Rushdie will not attend a literature festival in India, a director of the event told Reuters on Friday, after protests from some Indian Muslim groups who called for the controversial author to be banned from entering the country.

A planned protest by Muslim leaders in Jaipur, the city where Rushdie was scheduled to speak at Asia's largest literature festival, was cancelled on Friday after media reports said the author had been asked not to attend.

The vice-chancellor of India's Darul Uloom Deoband seminary said last week that Rushdie, who does not require a visa to visit India, should be prevented from entering the country, accusing the 65-year-old of offending Muslim sentiments.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 17, 2018
Iranian minister: US sanctions display disregard for human rights

By REUTERS