'Syrian gov't involved in starting Mohammed cartoon riots'

By JPOST.COM STAFF
December 27, 2010 18:45

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Syrian Government was involved in organizing the 2006 riots that broke out across the Arab world after the publication of the controversial cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed, DPA reported Monday, quoting a diplomatic cable released by WikiLeaks.

The cartoons were published in Denmark in 2005 and triggered violent protests including attacks on the Norwegian, Danish, and Swedish embassies in Damascus in 2006, said DPA.

According to the cable published by an Oslo newspaper cited by DPA, the Syrian prime minister had, "several days before the demonstrations, instructed the Grand Mufti Sheikh Hassoun to issue a strongly worded directive to the imams delivering Friday sermons in the mosques of Damascus."

The demonstrations ended when Syria "felt that 'the message had been delivered','" the cable said quoting a Sunni sheikh whose name was not mentioned.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 20, 2018
Islamic State claims Chechnya attack without citing evidence

By REUTERS