Tabib puts Beitar Jerusalem up for sale, rejects first offer

By
June 12, 2015 00:49

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Eli Tabib insisted he is looking to sell Beitar Jerusalem on Thursday, but said he will only do so should his demands be met.

Jerusalem mayor Nir Barkat met with Tabib last week and presented him with an offer from former owners, brothers Meir and Shaul Levy.

According to the Jerusalem Municipality, the Levy brothers are willing to pay Tabib NIS 10 million for the club, and cover up to NIS 12 million of its debt.

However, Tabib vehemently rejected the offer, which he described as frivolous, and wouldn’t reveal his asking price on Thursday “I’m under massive pressure from my family to leave the soccer world and I want to fulfill their wish, but I won’t do so all of the sudden and desert Beitar Jerusalem,” said Tabib. “I will leave when I find the right person or group to take over the club. Beitar is up for sale, but in the meantime my staff and I will continue to prepare the club for next season.”

Related Content

Breaking news
July 16, 2018
Violent Nicaragua protests claim another 10 lives -rights group

By REUTERS