UN: 40 new Efrat homes prejudice the peace process

By
December 12, 2011 21:00
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The United Nations on Monday called on Israel to halt settlement activity after reports surfaced regarding the publication of tenders for 40 new homes in the Efrat settlement, located just outside of Jerusalem in the Gush Etzion bloc.

"Such activity is contrary to international law and the Roadmap, and prejudices final status negotiations," UN Secretary General Ban-Ki Moon said in a statement his office released to the media.

"These actions by the Government of Israel come at a critical juncture when the Quartet continues efforts to facilitate the resumption of direct negotiations between the parties. For this to succeed, the parties must refrain from provocative actions and help create a positive environment for negotiations," he said.

In his statement he specifically mentioned the 40 Efrat homes and reports of a pending permit for a farming project in Efrat.

Efrat Council head Oded Revivi said that there was nothing new in the report regarding the tenders. Initial authorization for the 40 homes was granted in the spring, he said. It was part of number of authorizations for new settlement homes granted by the government after terrorists infiltrated the Itamar settlement in March and stabbed to death five members of the Fogel family, including three children.

Last week the Lands Authority published tenders for 40 homes in the Givat Dagan neighborhood of Efrat on its web site. Revivi said that Givat Dagan is located with the settlement's boundaries and that it was part of its municipal plans. Sixty families already live in that neighborhood, he said.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 23, 2018
Report: Shots fired at IDF forces near Ein Hashlosha

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF