UN to release report on Rwanda support for Congo rebels

By REUTERS
June 27, 2012 01:43

UNITED NATIONS - The UN Security Council agreed on Tuesday to publish a controversial document that implicates Rwanda's defense minister and several top military officials of backing an army mutiny in the east of neighboring Congo, council diplomats said.

The evidence contained in an addendum to a recent report by UN experts is the strongest yet to indicate high-level support within President Paul Kagame's government for the so-called M23 rebellion, whose stand-off with Congolese forces has caused thousands to flee their homes in the east of the country.

M23 is the name of a group of several hundred soldiers from the Congolese army that have rallied behind Bosco Ntaganda, a mutinous army general with past links to Rwanda who is sought for arrest by the Democratic Republic of Congo and wanted by the International Criminal Court on war crimes charges.

Rwanda rejects the allegations.

Reuters had previously seen and reported on the minutes of a verbal briefing by the so-called Group of Experts, an independent panel that monitors violations of the Congo sanctions regime, on the allegations for the Security Council's Congo sanctions committee.


Related Content

Breaking news
May 26, 2018
Trump says having 'very productive talks' with North Korea on summit

By REUTERS