US admits sending more troops to Afghanistan that previously disclosed

By REUTERS
August 31, 2017 10:05
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

As the US prepares to up its troop count in Afghanistan, the Pentagon is coming clean on the number of its soldiers actually serving in the country.

Washington admitting on Wednesday (August 30) that that number is 11,000, significantly more than that what it's said publicly in the past.

Previously, defense officials had said there were only around 8,400 troops in the country under a cap set by the Obama administration.

But commanders have been using loop holes to try and skirt the restrictions, including bringing in temporary forces.

Officials say the announcement only came after Defense Secretary Jim Mattis got frustrated with the system to count US troops in combat zones, saying he wants a complete headcount before making any decision on how many more troops will be sent under Donald Trump's "fight to win" plan.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 16, 2018
Report: Saudi banks see no significant impact from lira depreciation

By REUTERS