US lawmaker releases hold on aid to Palestinians

By REUTERS
March 23, 2012 20:22

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

WASHINGTON - An influential US Republican lawmaker, Representative Kay Granger, said on Friday she was releasing $147 million in US development aid for the Palestinians that she had blocked since last August.

But it was unclear whether the money could be spent, because another senior Republican, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, has also had a "hold" on the funds for months. A spokesman for Ros-Lehtinen could not be reached for comment.

Both Granger and Ros-Lehtinen barred expenditure of the US funds last year because they objected to the Palestinian push for recognition at the United Nations. They argued that the path to Palestinian statehood was via a peace treaty with Israel.

Granger on Friday said she had decided to release the money for humanitarian reasons, and to help stability in the Palestinian territories.

Read the full story here

Related Content

Breaking news
August 19, 2018
Egyptian monks sent to trial over killing of bishop

By REUTERS