US official: Assault in Benghazi was 'terrorist attack'

By REUTERS
September 19, 2012 20:07

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

WASHINGTON - The assault on the US consulate in Benghazi last week in which four Americans died was a "terrorist attack" that may have had an al-Qaida connection, a top US counter-terrorism official told Congress on Wednesday.

Rocket-propelled grenades and mortars struck the consulate on Sept. 11, the anniversary of the 2001 attacks on the United States. US Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans died.

"They were killed in the course of a terrorist attack on our embassy," Matthew Olsen, director of the National Counter-terrorism Center, said in response to a question at a Senate hearing.

Olsen said whether the attack was planned for Sept. 11 was under investigation, but the information so far indicated it was "an opportunistic attack" that "began and evolved, and escalated over several hours."

Related Content

Breaking news
August 18, 2018
Erdogan to challenge those playing 'games' with economy

By REUTERS