US to pay $8.4 mln to victims, responders at Boston bombing

By REUTERS
January 14, 2014 00:17
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

BOSTON - The US Justice Department on Monday said it would make an $8.4 million grant to groups helping victims and first responders involved in the bombing attack at the 2013 Boston Marathon.

Funding will go to organizations working with the 264 people injured in the April 15 attack, as well as witnesses, emergency responders and others affected by the blasts, which killed three people.

The two brothers suspected of carrying out the worst attack on US soil since 9/11 are also believed to have shot dead a university police office three days later as they prepared to flee Boston, triggering a day-long manhunt and lockdown of most of the Boston area.

"This grant funding will provide critical support to many who were affected by last year's terrorist attack on the Boston Marathon," Attorney General Eric Holder said.

Twin homemade pressure-cooker bombs ripped through the crowds at the finish line of Boston's best-attended sporting event, injuring athletes, spectators and volunteers.

Accused bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 20, is awaiting trial on charges that could carry the death penalty if he is convicted. His 26-year-old brother Tamerlan died the night that the two tried to flee Boston when Dzhokhar ran him over with a motor vehicle during a gun battle with police.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 22, 2018
Minor earthquake strikes Israel's north

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF