Venezuela's Chavez to undergo another operation

By REUTERS
February 21, 2012 22:44

CARACAS - Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez said on Tuesday he would have to undergo another operation after doctors in Cuba found a lesion in his pelvis where surgeons removed a large cancerous tumor last year.

The 57-year-old socialist leader said he had traveled to Havana for the tests on Saturday. Rumors of the unannounced trip had prompted a flood of speculation among the opposition and supporters that he was at death's door.

"There is no metastasis. Just this small lesion in the same place where they removed the tumor," Chavez said during a televised tour of a factory in his home state of Barinas.


Related Content

Breaking news
May 27, 2018
Egypt detains prominent opposition leader, former Sisi supporter

By REUTERS