Washington Navy Yard reopens three days after mass shooting

By REUTERS
September 19, 2013 18:39
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

WASHINGTON - Thousands of workers streamed back into the Washington Navy Yard on Thursday, three days after a former reservist working at the site as a contractor opened fire with a shotgun on a cafeteria full of workers eating breakfast, killing 12 people.

The sprawling, walled complex, which covers about 16 blocks of the US capital, had been closed to all but essential personnel and those involved in the investigation into why 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, who died in a gun battle with police, mounted his attack.

A steady stream of workers entered the Yard through a security gate, swiping cards at a turnstile. A Navy guard checked IDs.

"To be productive we can't dwell on the past," said Justin Hoffman, 27, a civilian Navy IT worker, who had just emerged from the base and said security was heightened, with more guards visible.

Angelo Esposito, 60, an IT worker in the engine program, said the return to a workday routine felt "weird." "I used to think of this as a safe place," Esposito said.

Eric Schechtman, 56, a software engineer, said he had never anticipated a mass shooting at the Yard, where he has worked five years and which is less than two miles from the US Capitol. "You hear about mass shootings, they're usually somewhere else and they happen to someone else, far away," he said.

Alexis, a US Navy Reserves veteran, entered the base on Monday with a security clearance that allowed him onto military facilities to work as an information technology contractor.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 17, 2018
U.S. says no rebuilding funds for Syria until peace talks underway

By REUTERS