Bezeq workers to reconnect HOT lines

Phone company claims campaign constraints limit telecom competition.

By AVI KRAWITZ
May 19, 2006 00:16
1 minute read.
bezeq logo 88

bezeq logo 88. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Bezeq workers said they would reconnect HOT subscribers to the Bezeq network in line with a Tel Aviv Labor Court order Thursday evening, after the workers blocked the calls in protest of regulatory limitations facing the phone company that prevent it from introducing special deals to entice new customers. Bezeq management turned to the court Thursday after HOT and the Communications Ministry made similar appeals on Wednesday to no avail, after the Union cut the connection earlier in the day. "Bezeq management requested from the court to instruct the workers to end their sanctions and reinstate the service," the company said. "The arguments made by the workers against the discriminatory regulations which harm Bezeq are not reasons to strike." Bezeq said it had explained to the workers both verbally and in writing that their actions were harming the company and its customers. Bezeq workers union chairman Shlomo Kfir said the court suggested to the Communications Ministry to meet with management and workers in the next two weeks to settle their differences. Cable company HOT started local telephone service some 18 months ago, bringing competition to Bezeq for the first time. The government has since granted licenses to Golden Lines, Cellcom and Globcall for the service. In its attempt to open the market, the Government has limited Bezeq's ability to offer any discounts to customers until it loses around 15% of the market. HOT said it has 110,000 telephone subscribers to date and recently launched its first major campaign to draw new customers to the service. Meanwhile, Communications Minister Ariel Attias has forwarded a request to Finance Minister Avraham Hirchson to include a discount package that Bezeq can give to larger business customers in the law. Itzik Nimrodi, chief technical officer at HOT, told The Jerusalem Post that the cable company would welcome the deregulations but felt the timing of the discussion was strange. "This is no way to treat competition and they should not be rewarded for it," he said. The Communications Ministry said, however, that the discount had nothing to do with the strike and had been under discussion for a number of months already. Bezeq share dropped 0.3 percent to NIS 578.2 in Tel Aviv Thursday, while HOT's parent company Matav Cable Systems Media lost 0.1% to NIS 33.70.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

The Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
April 30, 2015
Teva doubles down on Mylan, despite rejection

By GLOBES, NIV ELIS