‘French Jews in Hebron best answer to UNESCO’

More than 1,000 French Jews paraded through Hebron under the hot August sun on Wednesday to the beat of loud religious music.

By
August 10, 2017 08:47
2 minute read.
‘French Jews in Hebron best answer to UNESCO’

PARTICIPANTS IN the annual Hebron march show the flag, with the Tomb of the Patriarchs in the background. (photo credit: TOVAH LAZAROFF)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

As a new immigrant, Yigal Naouri first marched through the streets of Hebron in 1987 with some 500 French Jews in a show of solidarity with the fledgling Jewish community.

Thirty years later, the 49-year-old Jerusalem resident again paraded through Hebron, this time with more than 1,000 French Jews under the hot August sun on Wednesday, and to the beat of loud religious music.

“This is the type of event that only the French know how to do,” he said, adding that he is “proud” to have participated with his two teenage children.

The annual parade’s 30th anniversary took place in the 50th year since the Six Day War, which placed the city under Israeli control.

This year it was organized by a newly created Israeli-French organization called Israel is Forever.

The marchers turned the event into a protest statement against last month’s World Heritage Committee vote to inscribe the Tomb of the Patriarchs, and Hebron’s Old Town surrounding it, to the “State of Palestine.”

They also wanted to show solidarity with 15 families who illegally moved into a three-story structure called Beit Hamachpela last month.

The families are in the midst of attempting to register their purchase claim with the Civil Administration for Judea and Samaria.

They have asked the government to allow them to remain until they have authenticated the sale and registered the property.

Shlomo Levinger, a spokesman for the 15 families from Beit Hamachpela, recalled how in 1968 his father, Rabbi Moshe Levinger, first tried to bring Jews back to the city they fled in August 1929, after Arab rioters killed 67 people.

“We bought Beit Hamachpela, and we will continue to redeem other properties in Hebron,” he said.

Coalition chairman David Bitan (Likud), who has thrown his support behind Beit Hamachpela, spoke to the group after the march.

“The contemptible decision of UNESCO completely ignored the Jewish people’s historical connection to the city where our forefathers are buried,” Bitan said. “It reinforces the need and importance of your presence here. There is no more symbolic moment than now to appeal to those of you who have not yet immigrated to Israel, that now is the time to return home, to the only true home of all the Jews.”

Yaakov Hagoel, vice chairman of the World Zionist Organization and chairman of World Likud, told The Jerusalem Post that he had come from Netanya to join the group.

“These are people who could have been at the beach or in air-conditioned rooms with their iPads, and instead they are marching here with Israeli flags in the midst of Hebron, where it all began for the Jewish people,” he said.

In the evening, near the checkpoint by the Tomb of the Patriarchs, border police officers arrested a Palestinian man, 25, who held a knife and whom they feared was about to stab them.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Otzma Yehudit
June 25, 2019
Far-right Otzma ‘ends’ partnership with Bayit Yehudi

By JEREMY SHARON

Cookie Settings