Court orders mother suspected of murdering 2 children remain in police custody at hospital

Unidentified 39-year-old mother allegedly stabbed her seven-year-old son, five-year-old daughter to death in their sleep on September 16.

September 24, 2013 23:00
1 minute read.
Hadassah Hospital.

Hadassah hospital 311. (photo credit: Courtesy)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A Jerusalem court ordered on Tuesday that the mother accused of murdering her two children last week in their Talpiot apartment remain in police custody for another eight days, while convalescing at Hadassah University Medical Center from self-inflicted knife wounds.

The recently divorced 39- year-old mother, named as Karina Beryl, made aliya from Moscow last year and lived in a modest third-floor apartment on Ein Gedi Street in the capital. Beryl allegedly stabbed her seven-year-old son and five-year-old daughter to death in their sleep on September 16.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Beryl then attempted to take her own life by slitting her throat and repeatedly impaling herself, but her sister, who was living with the family, intervened. Shortly after police were notified by a neighbor, Beryl was rushed to the hospital in critical condition.

Following emergency surgery, she was upgraded to stable- but-serious condition, police said.

The children’s father, a musician from Moscow, arrived in Israel a little over 24 hours later to identify the corpses, meet with police and determine burial arrangements.

Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said Tuesday that when Beryl is released from the hospital she will immediately be placed in police custody.

Due to a gag order, few other details have surfaced regarding her background, or the murder and its ongoing investigation.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night