BREAKING NEWS

More than 800 people hacked by UK tabloid

LONDON - More than 800 people have had their telephones illegally hacked by the now-defunct News of the World tabloid, British police investigating the alleged practice said on Saturday.
A statement by London's Metropolitan Police said 2,037 people had been contacted during the year-long investigation, of whom 803 are alleged victims of hacking by the best-selling tabloid, part of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp.It was the first time police provided an overall figure for alleged victims of News of the World hacking.
"We are confident we have personally contacted all the people who have been hacked or are likely to have been hacked," Deputy Assistant Commissioner Sue Akers of the Metropolitan Police said in an interview with The Times published Saturday.
Subscribe for our daily newsletter
Subscribe for our daily newsletter

By subscribing I accept the terms of use

Read all Tweets >