Trump aide: Israel was part of Syria cease-fire talks

A national security adviser said the administration had successfully brokered a ceasefire agreement by cooperating with Moscow and "with Israel, with Jordan involved."

By
July 14, 2017 02:03
1 minute read.
A general view shows Baath city, bordering the Israeli Golan Heights, Syria June 24, 2017.

A general view shows Baath city, bordering the Israeli Golan Heights, Syria June 24, 2017. . (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

WASHINGTON – Israel was involved in negotiations over the cease-fire currently holding in southwest Syria alongside Russia, Jordan and the United States, a White House aide said on Thursday.

Speaking with CNN’s Jake Tapper, Sebastian Gorka, a national security adviser to US President Donald Trump, said the administration had successfully brokered a cease-fire agreement by cooperating with Moscow and “Israel, with Jordan involved.”

After the interview, an administration official clarified to The Jerusalem Post that the Israelis were “not a party to it, but were consulted.” Areas under the agreement’s jurisdiction are close to the Golan border.

Hours before the cease-fire was announced, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Russian President Vladimir Putin discussed the matter by phone “in the context of joint efforts against international terrorism,” the Kremlin said in a statement. The cease-fire took effect on Sunday and has largely held, according to US officials.

The US administration is “encouraged by the recently agreed cease-fire in southwest Syria, approved by President Trump and President Putin just last week,” Brett McGurk, special presidential envoy for the global coalition to counter ISIS, told reporters on Thursday.


“This initiative was painstakingly negotiated by Jordan, the United States and Russia.

It’s one of many to de-escalate the underlying war, maintain the territorial integrity of Syria, and set the conditions for a Syrian- led political settlement.”

“We call on all sides in this terrible conflict to ensure that adherence to the ceasefire arrangement holds, as it is defined by a very carefully drawn line of contact,” McGurk said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

John Bolton met with his Russian counterpart, Nikolai Patrushev, and Israel’s National Security Advi
June 25, 2019
Bolton on Bahrain: Palestinians shouldn't re-litigate decades of dispute

By TOVAH LAZAROFF

Cookie Settings