Aides: Egypt's ex-spy chief enters presidential race

By REUTERS
April 6, 2012 19:31

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

CAIRO - Aides of ousted Hosni Mubarak's former intelligence chief Omar Suleiman said on Friday he planned to contest the presidential election, reversing a statement earlier this week that he would not run.

Omar Suleiman, 74, was Mubarak's close associate for decades and served as his vice president briefly during the uprising that forced him to step down a year ago.

Hundreds rallied in Cairo on Friday to press Suleiman to join the race, carrying banners reading "Suleiman, save Egypt" and "We need you Suleiman". Commentators say he would appeal to the country's military and voters worried about stability.

In a statement attributed to Suleiman circulated by campaign aides, the man who was the director of military intelligence and the General Intelligence Service vowed to run if he could get the necessary registration of 30,000 supporters by Saturday.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 17, 2018
U.S. says no rebuilding funds for Syria until peace talks underway

By REUTERS