At least 46 dead in explosion in central China mine

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
June 21, 2010 08:54

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

BEIJING — At least 46 miners were killed Monday when an explosion ripped through a coal mine in central China, state media reported.

The blast hit a mine in Pingdingshan city in the province of Henan, the State Administration of Work Safety said. Seventy-two miners were trapped initially but 26 escaped, the official Xinhua News Agency reported.

State broadcaster CCTV reported on its website many of the deaths were caused by carbon monoxide poisoning set off by the explosion. The report said an investigation is under way into the cause of the blast.

Safety has improved sharply in recent years, but China's mining industry is by far the world's deadliest. Accidents and blasts killed more than 2,600 coal miners last year.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 18, 2018
Jerusalem Post closed for Yom Kippur

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF