Bedouin release Koreans held in Egypt's Sinai

By REUTERS
February 11, 2012 23:11

CAIRO - Three Korean women being held in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula by Beduin tribesmen were released on Saturday together with their Egyptian translator following negotiations with the authorities, the governor of South Sinai province said.

The Beduin had snatched the three Koreans from a tour bus traveling near the St Catherine monastery in central Sinai towards Sharm el-Sheikh and had sought to use them to bargain for the release of jailed members of their tribe.

"The three Koreans and the Egyptian were released," Khaled Fouda, the South Sinai governor, told Reuters. Their abduction was reported on Friday. Fouda did not say if the tribesmen's demands had been met.

Beduin tribesmen in the Sinai have attacked police stations and blocked access to towns to show their discontent with what they see as poor treatment from Cairo, and to press for the release of jailed kinsmen.


Related Content

Breaking news
May 23, 2018
Israeli Security forces arrest 4 Palestinians in overnight raids

By JPOST.COM STAFF