Germany lifts deadline for Holocaust compensation
By GIL STERN STERN SHEFLER
November 27, 2011 22:09
The deadline for Holocaust survivors forcibly held in ghettos to apply for special compensation has been lifted, the Conference on Jewish Material Claims from Germany said on Sunday.
The group, better known as the Claims Conference and which negotiates with Berlin on behalf of the victims of the Nazis, said persons who were jailed by the Germans in Jewish quarters during World War II may receive a one-time payment of €2,000 from the Ghetto Fund past December 31, 2011.
“We want to ensure that every eligible survivor who was in a ghetto has the ability to apply for both these payments,” said Claims Conference Chairman Julius Berman. “They are a recognition of the suffering and privation endured by Jews who labored in Nazi-era ghettos under unimaginable conditions.”
In addition, the group said recipients of German Social Security - who were previously barred from applying for compensation from the Ghetto Fund - may now receive both. Information applying to the Ghetto Fund and criteria can be found at www.claimscon.org/ghettopension.