Hague condemns Israel decision to build new homes in Gilo

By JPOST.COM STAFF
September 27, 2011 22:02

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

British Foreign Secretary Williams Hague condemned on Tuesday Israel's decision earlier that day to build new housing units in the Jerusalem neighborhood of Gilo, calling the move "provocative."

"I condemn today’s news that the Government of Israel is advancing plans for 780 new settlement housing units, with an option of an additional 600 units in the east Jerusalem settlement of Mordot Gilo," Hague said, adding "This is a time when all parties should be striving to return to talks and responding to the Quartet statement call to refrain from provocative actions.

Hague said "Settlement expansion is illegal under international law, corrodes trust and undermines the basic principle of land for peace," and called on Israel to "revoke this decision."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 23, 2018
If Trump delays, Macron to present peace plan, says Exterior Ministry rep.

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF