IDF: Bil'in protester died as result of medical malpractice

January 19, 2011 21:32


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The IDF has determined that the protester who was allegedly killed by tear gas in a Bil'in demonstration earlier this month, actually died because of faulty medical treatment at a hospital in Ramallah.

Palestinians claimed Jawaher Abu Rahma, 36, died from tear gas fired by soldiers during a protest against the West Bank security barrier outside Bil’in, near Modi’in Illit.

According to the IDF, Abu Rahma was killed by an overdose of the drug Atropine given to her by medical personnel in Ramallah who mistakenly believed she had been injured by the ingestion of a different kind of gas.

The investigation also found that Abu Rahma was 150 meters from the demonstration near her home.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 21, 2018
UK foreign minister Hunt: Trump not the isolationist many feared