Insurgents attack 2 NATO bases in eastern Afghanistan

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
August 28, 2010 08:15

KABUL, Afghanistan — Insurgents launched a pair of pre-dawn attacks on NATO bases in eastern Afghanistan on Saturday, Afghan police said.

There was no word on casualties in the attacks on the sprawling Forward Operating Base Salerno in Khost province and nearby Camp Chapman, where a suicide bomber in December killed seven CIA employees.

Maj. Wazir Pacha of the provincial police headquarters said attackers used heavy machine guns and rocket propelled grenades, but had been beaten back into corn fields surrounding the bases.

He said police had captured a pickup truck laden with ammunition as well as a light truck packed with explosives that had become stuck in deep mud.


Related Content

Breaking news
June 23, 2018
Mexican airline Volaris offers free flights for separated children

By REUTERS