Lebanon tribunal to try Hariri suspects in absentia

By REUTERS
February 1, 2012 21:47

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

BEIRUT - A UN-backed tribunal said on Wednesday it would try in absentia four fugitive Hezbollah suspects indicted over the 2005 killing of Lebanon's former prime minister Rafik al-Hariri.

Warrants for the arrest of the four men were issued by the tribunal in June but Lebanon later told the court it had been unable to track any of them down.

The Shi'ite Muslim group Hezbollah has denied any role in the bombing which killed Hariri, a billionaire Sunni Muslim politician, and 21 other people on the Beirut seafront and said it would refuse to allow any of the suspects to be arrested.

The Netherlands-based Special Tribunal for Lebanon said the four suspects would be tried in their absence after concluding that "all reasonable steps have been taken to secure the appearance of the accused and to notify them of the charges."

The suspects were named in July as Mustafa Amine Badreddine, a senior Hezbollah figure and brother-in-law of slain Hezbollah commander Imad Mughniyeh, as well as Salim Jamil Ayyash, Hussein Hassan Oneissi and Assad Hassan Sabra.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 24, 2018
Flood threat still existent in Hurricane Florence aftermath

By REUTERS