Report: Colorado school staff missed red flags in deadly 2013 shooting

January 19, 2016 05:03
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Administrators and teachers at a Colorado high school failed to act on warnings signs that a student was acting in a threatening and violent way before he shot to death a classmate in 2013, an independent review of the rampage said on Monday.

The Center for the Study and Prevention of Violence at the University of Colorado faulted administrators at Arapahoe High School in the Denver suburb of Centennial for not having shared information among staff and law enforcement about 18-year-old shooter Karl Pierson.

The report said some students knew Pierson had firearms while certain staff members knew he had made threats, at one point saying he wanted to kill a coach who had kicked him off the debate team. But they failed to connect the dots or call a hotline set up to prevent violence at schools.

"If just one student or teacher had called ... this tragedy might have been averted," the report stated.

Armed with a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun, a machete and three Molotov cocktails, Pierson stormed the school on Dec. 13, 2013, in search for the debate coach.

After firing at his intended target and missing, Pierson shot dead 17-year-old Claire Davis before committing suicide.

The parents of the slain girl, in an arbitration agreement with Littleton Public Schools, took the unusual step of agreeing not to sue the district if administrators cooperated with the report and released it.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 20, 2018
Singaporean company director charged for supplying luxury goods to N.Korea