Turkish teenager dies amid Kurdish infighting

December 28, 2014 12:51
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A teenager was shot and killed in southeastern Turkey on Saturday in clashes between members of a Kurdish Islamist party and youths linked to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), security sources said.

The 15-year-old's death in the town of Cizre brought the number of people killed there in fighting between Kurdish groups to three. Two others were killed on Saturday in clashes between members of the Islamist Free Cause Party (Huda-Par) and youth groups linked to PKK.

The two groups are fierce rivals. Huda-Par draws support from sympathizers with Turkey's Hezbollah militant group, which fought the PKK in the 1990s.

Armored police vehicles patrolled Cizre town center, where shops were closed on Sunday.

Late on Saturday, unrest spread to the neighboring town of Silopi, where two people were wounded when PKK-linked youths clashed with police, who fired water cannon and tear gas.

Thirty-five people died in early October after Kurds rioted in several southeastern cities over what they saw as the government's refusal to help fellow Kurds fighting Islamic State in the town of Kobani across the border in Syria.

The violence, the worst in that part of Turkey in many years, was accompanied by intense clashes between PKK sympathizers and Islamist Kurds.

Calm in the region is key to a shaky peace process in which the government is negotiating an end to a 30-year insurgency with the jailed leader of the outlawed PKK, who called a ceasefire last year.

Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu described the incidents in Cizre as provocations. "We are determined to take all measures against provocateurs who try to disrupt public order," he said.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 18, 2018
Google says will appeal EU fine