US to send Marines to Libya to bolster security

By REUTERS
September 12, 2012 16:45

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

WASHINGTON - The United States is dispatching a Marine fleet anti-terrorist security team to boost security in Libya after an attack that killed the US ambassador, a US official told Reuters, speaking on condition of anonymity.

No further details were immediately available.

Late on Tuesday, US Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other US diplomats were killed in a rocket attack on their car, Libyan and US officials said, as they were rushed from a consular building stormed by militants denouncing a US-made film that was said to have mocked the prophet of Islam.

Earlier on Wednesday, US President Barack Obama said he directed his administration "to provide all necessary resources to support the security of our personnel in Libya and to increase security at our diplomatic posts around the globe."

Related Content

Breaking news
August 20, 2018
Islamic State claims Chechnya attack without citing evidence

By REUTERS