Ashdod Port closes over rockets, union chief suspended by unilateral decision

The port company said that halting activity would cost it 3-5 million shekels a day.

July 8, 2014 14:17
1 minute read.
Ashdod Port.

Ashdod port 370. (photo credit: Wikimedia Commons)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The Ashdod Port union on Tuesday morning halted shipping activity in light of the numerous rocket firings from Gaza, closing one of Israel’s main gates of trade, without the approval of the port company, port authority or Transportation Ministry.

The National Labor Court ordered the workers to resume their posts in the afternoon.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The union said some workers were nervous that they did not have a place to seek shelter during red alerts.

“There were workers who found themselves on the high cranes, without any possibility of protection around them, and in order to avoid unnecessary disasters we instructed the workers to stop their work and stay near protected areas,” said acting Ashdod union chief Avinoam Shoshan.

Transportation Minister Israel Katz, however, said the decision had not been taken through the proper channels, and sent instructions to get the port running again and suspend Shoshan for pulling the workers during a state of emergency.

“It is scandalous conduct that the chairman of the union took an illegal decision on his own initiative,” a statement from the ministry said.

Katz said that good protection was in place for the workers. The port company said that halting activity would cost it NIS 3 million-NIS 5m. a day.


The Histadrut labor federation blasted the port company for suspending Shoshan “during this difficult time,” but agreed that the workers should return to their posts “under safety restrictions.”

Meanwhile, despite reports in the business newspaper Calcalist that coal shipments to the Ashkelon Rutenberg Power Station had stopped due to the security situation, an Israel Electric Corporation spokeswoman told The Jerusalem Post that the report was “erroneous.”

All work was proceeding as normal at the IEC, the spokeswoman stressed.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

The Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
April 30, 2015
Teva doubles down on Mylan, despite rejection