Super-Pharm signs deal to move into China

Will open 37 branches in China as part of its international expansion.

November 22, 2005 05:57
2 minute read.
superpharm 88

super pharm 88. (photo credit: )


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Pharmaceutical chain Super-Pharm has signed an agreement with Chinese company Ensure to open 37 branches in mainland China, the company said Monday, as part of its international expansion set for 2006. The two companies' had been in talks for some two and a half years and, while the initial contract between them was signed in May 2004, the deal was only finalized last month. The final signing was held up due to legal complications which placed the Chinese company in the hands of liquidators, and which needed to be cleared before Super-Pharm could enter the partnership. In closing the deal, Super-Pharm bought 51 percent of the partnership for an undisclosed amount, with Ensure holding the remaining 49%. The stores will operate under the Super-Pharm name and format, with the first one due to open in the first quarter of 2006. "We see tremendous opportunity in China and feel that we have found the right partners to succeed there," said Lior Ritbleit, CEO of Super-Pharm. "I believe that our experience in starting up in Poland together with our business model in Israel will allow us to maximize the opportunity we have in the Chinese market," Ritbleit said. "We foresee opening hundreds of branches in China over the next few years." The company's move into China follows its international debut in Poland three years ago, where it is about to open its thirteenth store. Super-Pharm also announced Monday that it plans to expand its operations in Poland, where it intends to grow to 50 stores there by 2009, having opened seven in 2005. Each store, it said in a statement, comes at an investment of $250,000. Locally, the company operates 117 pharmacies and said it has signed contracts to establish another 30 in the near future.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

The Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
April 30, 2015
Teva doubles down on Mylan, despite rejection