Jerusalem prayer-protests pass peacefully

After Temple Mount opened to men under 50, thousands come to al-Aksa.

July 30, 2017 00:57
1 minute read.
Palestinian women celebrate outside Temple Mount in Jerusalem

Palestinian women celebrate outside Temple Mount in Jerusalem. (photo credit: MARC ISRAEL SELLEM)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Police took no chances on Friday as thousands of Muslims came to Jerusalem to pray. Over two weeks the Temple Mount and al-Aksa area has become a flashpoint for mass prayer protests after metal detectors were installed on July 14 and then removed on July 26.

After Palestinians thronged the area on Thursday and riots resulted, police had ordered the Mount closed to men under 50 for Friday prayers, a decision that was reversed after noon prayers passed peacefully on Friday.

At Jaffa Gate on Friday, the pedestrian entrance was closed and everyone hoping to enter the Old City had to go through a police cordon. Police decided to erect barricades on streets leading to the Old City, rather than have hundreds converge on checkpoints closer to the Temple Mount.

At Damascus Gate the barricades were set up near a line of shops, such that hundreds of men ended up praying in the streets. This has been the method of protest over the last two weeks. Around 1 in the afternoon several hundred young and middle-aged men arrived with prayer rugs. After a few chants devoted to “al-Aksa,” they prayed and then milled around and left. Although tensions seemed high, there were no clashes with the dozens of riot police present. One young man who ran off after shouting at the officers was briefly chased, but local leaders intervened to calm the situation. Police who had briefly thrown on their helmets to chase the kid, went back to their positions. A watermelon vendor touting his wares drowned out any shouting by the protesters.

In the West Bank Palestinian media reported 250 injured in clashes with Israeli forces from Bethlehem to Ramallah. By nightfall restrictions on men entering the Old City and al-Aksa had been lifted and thousands came to the mosque and Temple Mount compound. Video posted online showed the entire compound full of people, many taking selfies and posting online about the “victory” over Israel.

The tensions are not over. According to video posted on 48 NNews on Saturday there were scuffles inside near Lions’ Gate, at the Gate of the Tribes entrance to the Temple Mount, the site of the July 14 terrorist attack, when police on Friday sought to check some worshipers leaving the city.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

STAV SHAFFIR: The world sees us as only Netanyahu, and his voice is the only voice they hear
June 19, 2019
Shaffir challenges Peretz, Shmuli to debate


Cookie Settings