Arab Israeli Conflict
Middle East News
Hi Tech News
Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah boasted his group could shut down Israeli offshore plants within hours.
"Already during Operation Protection Edge, there were attempts to damage our platform, and luckily, these weapons were not accurate enough and did not succeed in causing harm."
Threats to the rigs include surface-to-sea supersonic missiles like the Yakhont, in possession of Hezbollah, which can fire it from the Lebanese or Syrian coastlines.
"A year and a half ago when I entered my position, the gas was stuck, the sea was closed and the sector was strangled,” Steinitz said, at a Jerusalem press conference. “We are changing this picture."
By SHARON UDASIN
Energy ministers meet for first ministerial visit since 2010 Mavi Marmara incident.
The Leviathan reservoir developers aim to complete construction and development of the field, and begin delivering gas to Jordan, in as little as three years, the Noble Energy statement said.
Netanyahu said his cabinet had decided to "improve the supply of energy and water to Gaza, including laying a gas pipeline."
EnQuest currently owns 70.5% of the field while Cairn Energy Plc owns the other 29.5% stake.
By MICHELLE MALKA GROSSMAN
Steinitz criticized what he said were six years’ worth of delays in getting the Leviathan Reservoir’s development off the ground.
A spokeswoman for the consortium said a decision on which firm will carry out the engineering plans will be likely be made in the coming days.
In January, private Israeli power giant Edeltech and its Turkish partner Zorlu Enerji signed a $1.3b. contract for Leviathan gas to be used at the eventual Tamar power plant.
The latest version of the deal still requires approval from the government, which the ministry expects in the coming days.
Gazprom's interest in Israeli gas reservoir Leviathan is a strategic issue for Russian President Vladimir Putin.
By HEDY COHEN/GLOBES
Please insert a valid email address