Egypt presidential hopefuls turn down cabinet jobs

By REUTERS
November 30, 2011 20:12

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

CAIRO - Egyptian Prime Minister designate Kamal al-Ganzouri said on Wednesday he was in talks to form a new government after five presidential candidates turned down invitations to join his cabinet.

Egypt's army rulers picked Ganzouri to replace Essam Sharaf, whose interim government quit last week during clashes between riot police and protesters demanding the military quit power that left 42 people dead and 2,000 wounded.

It was not immediately clear why the five presidential hopefuls refused cabinet posts, but joining a government that could last months or even weeks may hurt their presidential campaigns by associating them with a leadership many oppose.

"I have spoken with five of the colleagues who are running for the presidency and tried to convince them to join the new cabinet but they declined, along with two other popular figures," Ganzouri told reporters on Wednesday.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 21, 2018
Megyn Kelly nears $30 million contract settlement with NBC News

By REUTERS