Egyptian minister questioned in van Gogh theft

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
August 30, 2010 16:49

CAIRO — Egypt's culture minister says he was questioned by prosecutors for three hours over last week's theft of a Vincent van Gogh painting.

Farouk Hosni told reporters Monday he volunteered for the interrogation to dispel accusations of negligence in the robbery.Thieves made off with the canvas, known by the titles of "Poppy Flowers" and "Vase with Flowers," from the Mahmoud Khalil Museum in Cairo.

The prosecutor general ordered the detention of Deputy Culture Minister Mohsen Shalaan and four of the museum's security guards while they are investigated on suspicion of neglecting his duties.

During the late night questioning Sunday, Hosni said he told prosecutors that he had delegated full responsibility for the museum to Shalaan.

No charges have been filed.


Related Content

Breaking news
October 20, 2019
Michael Gove: UK is going to leave the EU by Oct. 31

By REUTERS

Cookie Settings