Former press baron Conrad Black released from US prison

By REUTERS
May 4, 2012 17:21

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

MIAMI - Disgraced former press baron Conrad Black was released from a Florida prison on Friday after ending his sentence but he was immediately taken into custody by US immigration officials.

"He is in ICE custody," said Nestor Yglesias, a spokesman for US Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Yglesias declined to elaborate but spoke after a vehicle believed to be carrying the 67-year-old Black was spotted by photographers at about 8:20 a.m. EDT leaving the low security Federal Correctional Institution in Miami, where he was serving his sentence.

His release from the facility Friday morning had been widely expected but authorities had previously indicated he would also face deportation from the United States after he was freed.

A US judge in June re-sentenced Black, a Canadian-born British citizen and member of Britain's House of Lords, to another 13 months in prison on top of the 29 months he had already served for his 2007 conviction for fraud and obstruction of justice.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 18, 2018
Google says will appeal EU fine

By REUTERS