French gunman to give himself up 'this afternoon'

By REUTERS
March 21, 2012 11:40

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

PARIS - A gunman under siege by French police in Toulouse, suspected of killing four people at a Jewish school this week, has told negotiators he will give himself up later today, French Interior Minister Claude Gueant said.

"He said ... he will turn himself in this afternoon," Gueant told BFM television, adding that authorities were determined to take the suspect alive so he could stand trial.

The gunman, a 24-year-old Frenchman claiming to belong to al-Qaida, threw a pistol from the window of the house in exchange for a "communication device," Gueant said. He still has an Uzi machine gun, a Kalashnikov assault rifle and other weapons, he said.

The man, who is also the prime suspect in the killing of three soldiers last week, told negotiators he acted to punish France's army for its foreign interventions and the plight of Palestinian children.

Read the full story here

Related Content

Breaking news
August 17, 2018
Final interrogation of Netanyahu in 'Bezeq Affair' ends after 4 hours

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF