Gitmo jury recommends 14 years for Bin Laden's cook

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
August 12, 2010 01:55

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, Cuba — A Guantanamo jury recommended a 14-year sentence Wednesday for  Al-Qaida terrorist Osama bin Laden's cook, though its decision may be overruled by a plea bargain that will limit the time he spends in prison.

Ibrahim Ahmed Mahmoud al-Qosi of Sudan pleaded guilty last month to supporting terrorism, making him only the fourth Guantanamo detainee to be convicted since the prison, which has held nearly 800 men, was opened in 2002.

The jury of 10 U.S. military officers was not told about the sentence limit in the plea agreement. If it is less than 14 years, the jury's sentence will only be applied if al-Qosi does something to break the deal, said Navy Capt. David Iglesias, a spokesman for military prosecutors.

As part of the plea agreement, the 50-year-old detainee signed a statement declaring that he followed Osama bin Laden after the al-Qaida leader's expulsion from Sudan in 1996 and continued working for him in Afghanistan.


Related Content

Breaking news
June 19, 2018
Ex-CIA employee charged with leaking classified data, child porn offenses

By REUTERS