IAEA: Not contacted by Syria rebels about ex-nuclear site

By REUTERS
March 4, 2013 18:04

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

VIENNA- Syrian rebels who have reportedly captured a suspected nuclear reactor site - destroyed by Israel six years ago - have not been in contact with UN inspectors about visiting it, IAEA chief Yukiya Amano said on Monday.

The UN's International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has long sought access to a site in Syria's desert Deir al-Zor region that U.S. intelligence reports say was a nascent, North Korean-designed reactor geared to producing plutonium for nuclear weapons before Israel bombed it in 2007.

On February 24, opposition sources in eastern Syria said rebels had captured the destroyed site near the Euphrates River.

"Certainly we are aware of the report on (the) rebel group's offer to invite us to the site of Deir al-Zor but we are not aware of any communication to that effect," Amano, IAEA director general, told a news conference, referring to a media report last month.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 19, 2018
Iran defense minister: Iran to unveil new fighter jets

By REUTERS