Mali coup threatens EU aid to Sahel-aid chief

By REUTERS
April 4, 2012 15:36

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

BRUSSELS - Mali's military coup threatens to undermine European Union aid efforts in Africa's Sahel region, where drought and conflict have pushed millions of people to the brink of starvation, the bloc's development chief said on Wednesday.

Since Malian soldiers grabbed power on March 22, Tuareg rebels seeking their own northern homeland have seized half of the country, and neighboring nations have shut their borders with the previously stable West African state.

The European Union has already suspended its development aid operations in Mali, and if the political instability spreads it could hamper the 27-nation bloc's wider efforts in one of the world's poorest regions, EU Development Commissioner Adris Piebalgs said.

"Operations in the north of Mali are completely stopped. We can't do anything because of the instability, and I don't believe anyone currently has access to the people there," Piebalgs said in an interview with Reuters.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 18, 2018
China cuts Air China's flight hours, launches safety review after incident

By REUTERS