PM extends term of military attaché Locker

By
February 29, 2012 22:41

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu asked his military attaché, Maj.-Gen. Yohanan Locker, to stay in his position until the end of the year, despite Locker's involvement in the Natan Eshel Affair.

Locker, along with Cabinet Secretary Tzvi Hauser and Communications Director Yoaz Hendel, took complaints they heard from R, a female worker in the office, against Eshel – Netanyahu's trusted chief-of-staff -- to former attorney general Menachem Mazuz for his advice. Mazuz counseled them to take the matter to the Attorney General, something Hauser and Hendel did.  Those complaints led to Eshel's eventual ouster last week.

Netanyahu publicly took the three to task at a press conference last week for going directly to the Attorney General, and not taking the information to him first. He told Hendel and Hauser during a meeting that he had lost his confidence in them, and Hendel resigned immediately as a result.

Locker, Netanyahu's military attache since January 2010,  was originally supposed to have ended his term in January. He unsuccessfully vied for the job as Air Force commander, and has been named a possible candidate for the job of military attaché in Washington.


Related Content

Breaking news
May 26, 2018
Early counting suggests Irish landslide vote to liberalize abortion, says lawmaker

By REUTERS