UN says Japanese troops start withdrawing from South Sudan mission

By REUTERS
April 17, 2017 16:34
1 minute read.
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

NAIROBI  - Japan on Monday started withdrawing its troops from a UN mission in war battered South Sudan, according to an official, a move coinciding with escalating violence in a conflict where killings have been described as genocide.

The 350-strong Japanese military contingent, which has been based in South Sudan's capital Juba for the past five years, has been mostly helping with infrastructure construction."The first group is leaving today," Daniel Dickinson, spokesman for the UN peace keeping mission called UNMISS, told Reuters moments before the troops were due to board their flight at Juba International Airport.

Dickinson said the Japanese contingent would leave in three batches and that the group that was due to leave on Monday had 68 troops.

Deadly violence, often driven by ethnic hatred has gripped South Sudan since 2013 when fighting broke out between forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and his political foe Riek Machar whom he sacked as vice president.



A 2015 peace deal ended that conflict and Machar was early last year restored to his vice presidency position but persistent animus between the two men finally exploded into fresh fighting in July.

Episodes of mass violence especially in the equatorial region of south Sudan have been growing, with surviving civilian witnesses reporting government troops turning up in towns and starting shooting rampages.

The UK has described the killings and other atrocities in South Sudan as genocide although the UN has not yet made that determination.

South Sudan government spokesman, Ateny Wek Ateny, said they welcomed Japanese troops' departure because "the government of South Sudan is able to control the country."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
June 26, 2019
Magnitude 6.3 earthquake strikes between Panama and Costa Rica

By REUTERS

Cookie Settings