The UN announced on Friday that a team of independent experts mandated to probe alleged war crimes in Israel and Gaza will leave for the Middle East over the weekend.
UN spokesman Rolando Gomez said that the mission led by veteran prosecutor Richard Goldstone was expected to start its work next week.
Gomez told reporters in Geneva Friday that Goldstone has repeatedly asked the Israeli government to cooperate with his mission.
He was unable to say whether Goldstone has received a response.
Israel has previously described the probe as "intrinsically flawed" because it was ordered by the UN Human Rights Council. The 47-member council has an anti-Israeli track record.