Extradited Haifa murder suspect to plead self-defense, lawyer says

January 25, 2016 21:57
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A man extradited to Israel last week for a murder in Haifa 18 years ago will plead self-defense when his case goes to trail, his attorney confirmed Monday.

Attorney Boris Sherman said his client Gennady Galkin, 43, contends that he stabbed 25-year-old Technion student Edward Rothberg to death at a Haifa nightclub after he got in a fight with Rothberg and two other youths. Sherman said his client contends that he did not bring the murder weapon with him and that he took the knife from one of the youths he was fighting with and used it against Rothberg.

Galkin has already reenacted the murder for police and is expected to be indicted by Thursday on murder charges. On Monday his remand was extended by the Haifa Magistrate’s Court until Thursday and during the hearing police and prosecutors issued a pre-indictment motion.

Galkin was extradited to Israel late last Tuesday night after 18 years on the run. The former Haifa resident had been  living in Germany under the assumed name “Mark” and was located in the Berlin area some three months ago, police said last week.

At his first hearing last Wednesday the only words he had to say to reporters were “I made a mistake.”

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 26, 2018
Jewish Labour Party event evacuated after bomb threat