Italian soccer team in more trouble over alleged racist behavior by fans

By REUTERS
March 11, 2016 22:16
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Lazio will face disciplinary proceedings from European soccer's governing body UEFA after alleged racist chanting by their fans forced another of their matches to be briefly stopped by the referee.

Thursday's Europa League tie at Sparta Prague was halted after Costa Nhamoinesu, a black Zimbabwean player for the Czech team, was jeered as he was taking a thrown-in.

UEFA confirmed on Friday that the Italian side would face a disciplinary hearing on March 22 for "racist behaviour" and the display of an "illicit banner" by their supporters.

Last month, Lazio were fined 50,000 euros ($55,780.00) and ordered to partially close the Stadio Olimpico for two Serie A games after their league match at home to Napoli was suspended when home fans aimed racist abuse at a visiting player.

Thursday's incident happened midway through the first half of the last 16, first-leg tie and held up play for about one minute.

Jeering could clearly be heard on television replays as Costa went to take a throw-in and the player complained to the referee, who was then seen to talk with a UEFA official.

Shortly afterwards, a warning was made over the public address system, the first step under UEFA's three-stage process which can end with the match being abandoned if the trouble does not stop.

Play resumed and no further incidents were reported.

In 2013, Lazio were ordered to play two European matches behind closed doors by UEFA following four different acts of racism by their fans.

Sparta will also face the same hearing after supporters set off fireworks during the game which ended 1-1, UEFA said.

The second leg is on March 18, four days before the hearing takes place.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 16, 2018
Turkish foreign minister says no 'confession' from Saudis over Khashoggi

By REUTERS