Palestinian detainee commits suicide in Bethlehem jail

By
December 24, 2013 16:21

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A Palestinian detainee was found dead in his prison cell in Bethlehem on Monday night.

The man was identified as 47-year-old Nawwaf al Kawazbah, from the village of Sa’ir in the Hebron area.

He was recently arrested by the PA's Preventive Security Force.

Bethlehem governor Abdel Fattah Hamayel said that al Kawazbah died after hanging himself in his cell.

Hamayel said that the detainee had been arrested for criminal offenses. He said that the prison guards tried to save his life after he was found hanging in his cell, but to no avail.

Last May, Palestinian Authority policemen shot and killed al Kawazbah’s wife, Khuloud. The PA said that the woman was in a car with her husband, who refused to stop for a routine check.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 24, 2018
South Carolinians brace for post-Florence flooding

By REUTERS