Poland charges 3 men in theft of Auschwitz sign

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
November 26, 2010 00:40

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

WARSAW, Poland — Polish prosecutors filed charges Thursday against a Swede with neo-Nazi ties and two Poles acting for profit and said all three had confessed to the brazen theft of the notorious "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign from the gates of the Nazi's Auschwitz death camp last year.

They also announced that a second Swede, whose name was not released, is suspected of masterminding the robbery and that investigators in Sweden will now work to shed light on his role, of which the public has so far known nothing.

"In our investigation we have uncovered evidence indicating the possibility that a Swedish citizen on Sweden's territory might have instigated another Swedish citizen to commit a crime connected with the theft of the 'Arbeit Macht Frei' sign," prosecutor Robert Parys said.

Prosecutors filed the charges Thursday with a court in Krakow. They said the three had pleaded guilty and agreed to prison terms of about 2 1/2 years each.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 21, 2018
Iran supreme leader says "obvious mistake" to negotiate with US

By JPOST.COM STAFF