Red Cross: Yemen cholera cases could hit 1 million by end of year

By REUTERS
September 29, 2017 12:02
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

GENEVA - The humanitarian situation in Yemen is a "catastrophe" and cholera cases there could reach a million by the end of the year, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said Friday.

Alexandre Faite, head of the ICRC delegation in Yemen, said that the warring sides were using disproportionate force, causing "very excessive" civilian casualties. He called on them to allow Sanaa airport to open to commercial flights for aid supplies.Faite, saying there had been 750,000 suspected cases of cholera to date, with 2,119 deaths, told a Geneva news briefing: "We could be to one million (cases) by the end of the year."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
July 16, 2019
Saudi vice minister of defense says met with U.N. envoy to Yemen

By REUTERS

Cookie Settings