Report: Russian military confirms no S-300 missile for Iran

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
July 20, 2010 17:35

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A Russian military official said Moscow would not deliver the S-300 missile system to Iran in accordance with UN sanctions restricting its sale, Russia's Interfax news agency said Tuesday.

The announcement is the latest in a back-and-forth between Russia and Iran over a 2007 contract calling for Russia to deliver the S-300 missile system to Tehran. Iran has demanded Russia fulfill its contract, but Russia has refused, citing the UN sanctions.

Military official Alexander Fomin weighed in on Tuesday, and although he did not directly identify the S-300s, he pledged Moscow would desist from supplying "large missile systems" in accordance with the sanctions, Interfax reported.

It is the latest indication that the deal is dead. Last month, the Russian government said the sanctions blocked the missile sale, but Iran insisted the restrictions don't cover existing contracts.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 17, 2018
Netanyahu takes credit for Trump leaving Iran Deal

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF